birding-aus

Large numbers of Plumed Whistling Ducks at Gatton, QLD

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Large numbers of Plumed Whistling Ducks at Gatton, QLD
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:44:20 +1000
Hi all,

I've been to Lake Galletely on the Gatton Campus of the University of
Queensland many times, and it is a very reliable spot for Plumed Whistling
Ducks, often having upwards of a hundred there.  Today however was
different.  I had the pleasure of experiencing the largest number of Plumed
Whistling Ducks I've ever seen (this includes Broome and Kakadu), upwards of
2500 individuals crowding around the shores of the lake and the smaller lake
across the road.  I'm not sure if this is because smaller semi-permanent
water sources are drying up, or for some other reason, but it is a
spectacular sight.  Shortly afterwards we found 5 Red-rumped Parrots feeding
in the nearby horse pens, the first I've seen this side of the divide.

Also was able to watch a pair of Black Falcons circle overhead for a few
minutes near Lake Atkinson, which was also nice.

Regards,
Chris