birding-aus

[Fwd: Field guides to Indonesia and the Philippines]

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: [Fwd: Field guides to Indonesia and the Philippines]
From: "David Adams" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:41:14 +1000
On 4/16/06, Alastair Smith <> wrote:

>    My online research indicates that there is only one Indonesian field
>    guide that covers most of the archipelago, which is `A Field Guide to
>    the Birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java and Bali', by John Mackinnon, et
>    el, OUP, 1993. This guide seems to be very difficult to procure and I
>    have not found a single copy on the web, either new or second-hand.
This book has been very hard to find for more than a year. I was
unable to contact the publisher, author, or illustrator. I did find an
old neighbor of the illustrator who, second hand, told me there might
be a new publisher involved. Evidently, this is delaying a reprint. A
new edition, or even a new printing, would be welcome. Perhaps you
could try hooking up with someone in Malaysia or Bali through
BirdingPal and see if they can find a copy locally in a shop?

>    There is also a photographic guide sold by Andrew Isles amongst
>    others, `[1]A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Indonesia' (ISBN:
>    [2]0691114951) by Morten Strange.
I haven't used this guide in the field but it looks _excellent_. Most
photo guides seem thrown together. This one has range maps,
descriptive notes and status, and very good photographs. (Not 100% of
the photos are great but the overwhelming majority are.) I saw this on
the shelf at Angus & Robertson in Sydney and picked a copy up for $A
40. Perhaps you can look at a copy and decide how you feel about it.
(I inevitably find photo guides frustrating, but this one looks better
than most, by far.)