birding-aus

RFI: Hooded Plover

To: birding aus <>
Subject: RFI: Hooded Plover
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
Many thanks to those who gave me useful infor on
Hooded Plover. I had finally seen a pair on Fri 14 and
15 April in the afternoon at the river mouth of Lake
Conjola, Shoalhaven region, about 180km south of
Sydney. This was an idyllic lake where the water flows
slowly to the shallow sea.

The pair was found roosting on the rocks on the north
shore (this is actually the southern end of Conjurong
Point, separated by a narrow ~20 meters river but too
deep to wade across. On both days the pair was
disturbed by holidaymakers approaching the rocks and
had to fly over to the sandy banks at Lake Conjola
side, littered with seaweeds.

Also bumped into few residents who mentioned a very
high tide on one Friday night (probably 31 March?) had
swept away the nests of the Little Terns and left a
mess of washed up seaweeds. It was these unsightly
washed up seaweeds that had become Hooded Plover's
preferred roosting sites other than the rocky outcrops
100m across the river mouth.

I managed to have a good look at the pair 'hiding'
among the seaweeds and they were still there when I
left at 445pm.

Despite a signboard stating that no dogs are allowed.
There were still holidaymakers coming with their pets
as large as German Shephard dog. After all, who would
expect the ugly dried seaweeds and desert like sandy
beach are the habitant of these tiny plovers.

A holidaying couple from Campbelltown told that they
saw good number of birds roosting at a rock outcrops
about 30 mins of walk along the beach towards the
south of Lake Conjola. Probably worth checking out for
those interested.

Hope the plovers will regain their habitat after the
Easter holidays.

Regards,
Tun Pin ONG
St Leonards, NSW