birding-aus

Re:Please help me with an identification.

To: "Robert Inglis" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re:Please help me with an identification.
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:45:03 +1000
My vote is for Mangrove Gerygone.

The Western Gerygone is far paler on the underside than the bird in the image
and is also much more slaty grey on the upper body. Juvenile Western Gerygones
are more buff in colour on the lower body than this bird too.

This bird has all of the right plumage characters for a Mangrove Gerygone,
being quite brownish on the mantle/upper back region and quite dusky on the
lower body. It is also withinin the appropriate range for this species.

It's a shame that the tail isn't showing a little better, as the tail barring
can be final tell-tale indicator.

However, on the balance of evidence in this shot and the fact that I'm familiar
with both species: I'm definitely going for the Mangrove Gerygone.

Ricki Coughlan
Sydney, Australia