birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrots

To: "Chris Tzaros" <>, <>
Subject: Orange-bellied Parrots
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:40:55 +1000
Speaking of OBPs, today's latest from The Age is that David Fox (Lin's
son) says that there aren't any OBPs at Avalon - adjacent to the Western
Treatment Plant.  How many of us have recorded OBPs at the WTP, only a
few hundred metres away?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/bird-could-stymie-airport-plan/20
06/04/12/1144521401693.html

THE Fox family's dreams of expanding Avalon airport into a
mini-Tullamarine may be the latest project to be potentially affected by
the orange-bellied parrot.

The coastline around Avalon is well known by ornithologists as a key
mainland habitat for the endangered bird, and its presence at nearby
Point Lillias was enough to derail plans to move the Coode Island
chemical facility a decade ago.

In a taped interview with the Australian Financial Review, transport
magnate Lindsay Fox's youngest son David - who runs the Linfox Airports
division - discussed his five-year plan to expand the airport.

"The orange-bellied parrot puts itself down at the end of the runway,"
Fox said, noting it one of seven species of concern in the district.

But when contacted by The Age, Mr Fox said he may have been
misunderstood, saying he was not aware of any parrots ever visiting
Avalon, only that they were known to be in the area.

"I'm not aware that they've ever being seen on the Avalon property," he
said. "No, I don't think they have been seen at the end of the runway."