birding-aus

NSW - Another good April sea watch off Maroubra, Sydney - 9th April 2006

To: Edwin Vella <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: NSW - Another good April sea watch off Maroubra, Sydney - 9th April 2006
From: David Berg <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:52:13 +1000 (EST)
I was at Magic Point with the kids yesterday too. We saw the cattle egrets as
we started out on the track, and wondered if they went out to sea or around the
headland? Why?!
  Also saw 4 juvenile hooded plovers on the sand at the south end of Maroubra
beach, managed to get a nice photo if anyone would like to see it. Some wild
surf there too!

  Dave Berg

Edwin Vella <> wrote:
  This afternoon (9th April 2006), David Mitford, Stuart Pickering, Lorne
Johnson and I enjoyed an interesting 3 hours sea watch at Magic Pt in
Maroubra, (approx. 10 km south of Sydney CBD).

There were certainly some big waves about (up to 7 metres) and the winds
were mainly moderate from the south-west. The highlights this afternoon
was seeing another 9 quite early Yellow-nosed Albatross (one adult gave
us an excellent view as it passed within a few metres off the point), 3
species of Jaeger including one Long-tailed Jaeger and 5 Cattle Egrets
seen just out at sea. The Yellow-nosed Albatross are normally seen about
late May off Maroubra. There weren't as many Gannents or Wedge-tailed
Shearwaters seen as the previous weekend. We also had a great view of
the local Peregrine Falcon as it flew passed Magic Pt as well as a few
Kelp Gulls. On our walk back to the car, a Rufous Fantail in the exposed
heath was quite interesting and a Lewin's Rail was heard making a brief
call from the bitou bush beside the rifle range and close to the drain
at the southern end of Maroubra Beach.

A list of sea birds species and the minimum numbers seen for the
afternoon from Magic Pt is as follows:

Fairy Penguin (1 heard calling)
Yellow-nosed Albatross (9)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (12)
Fleshy-footed Shearwater (3)
Short-tailed Shearwater (3)
Fluttering Shearwater (40)
Australasian Gannet (150)
Little Black Cormorant (1)
Great Cormorant (3)
Arctic Jaeger (8)
Pomarine Jaeger (6)
Long-tailed Jaeger (1)
Kelp Gull (6) (2 ad and 4 Imm)
Silver Gull (150)
Crested Tern (50)

This is certainly some good sightings for what can be a quite month for
seabirds. I hope this will be a good hint for the coming winter.

Edwin Vella