birding-aus

An almost great day at Werribee

To: birding-aus <>, VicBirdline <>
Subject: An almost great day at Werribee
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:49:35 +1000
Took two Hong Kong visitors and a fellow Pom (from Brisbane) around the WTP
today - not the greatest of days weather wise but we had a good day.

Many of the waders seemed to have gone - lots of Stints and Curlew Sand
still around, but very few Sharpies and no rarities that we could see. The
Black-tailed Godwit in Walsh's Lagoon were stunning as several were in
almost full breeding plumage.

Added two birds to my "life list" for the plant - a Lewin's Rail in the 35E8
Conservation Pond and a Magpie Goose in Walsh's. The Black-tailed Native
Hens were as reliable as always on Austin Rd, and as watched them a pair of
Brolgas flew past - and landed in the grass and disappeared, which I guess
shows that they could be there quite often and never seen.

Other highlights included a Little Eagle at the Little River crossing and a
Brown Songlark in the T-Section.

Disappointments were no Cape Barren Geese or Black Kite.

And only "almost" a great day as I had a puncture on Paradise Rd on the way
home!