birding-aus

Possible American Golden Plover at Shoalhaven

To: <>
Subject: Possible American Golden Plover at Shoalhaven
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:54:48 +1000
Hello Birders, following on from my previous posting yesterday.....

Murray Lord very kindly put the two decent photos that I had of this bird on
his web site, here's the links if you are interested...

http://www.pbase.com/mklord/image/58302429

http://www.pbase.com/mklord/image/58302554

I think most people that have already seen these think that this bird is in
fact a Pacific Golden Plover. The bird in question has not been relocated as
yet and GP numbers appear to have lessened in the area. Having done much
research over the past few days there appears to be an awfull lot of variation
in plumage between the two species and much overlap making field
indentification difficult in intermediate phase plumage, where a bird is still
in moult. Thereby complicating relative measures of wing length and other key
plumage features such as flank line, undertail coverts, and forehead.

Any comments are of course welcome.

Cheers
Simon.