birding-aus

Sthn Giant-Petrels - Port Fairy (Vict.)

Subject: Sthn Giant-Petrels - Port Fairy (Vict.)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:45:08 +1000
An update on the Southern Giant-Petrels near Port Fairy in far western
Victoria.

Colleague Philip Du Guesclin provides the following information.

'... yesterday(4 April 2006), I was checking out the Sperm Whale (carcass)
west of Port  Fairy and there were 3 Southern Giant-Petrels feeding on it
- all juvenile plumage.  First ones I have seen on it since it stranded in
February.  High tides last weekend pushed the whale off the reef and it is
now on the beach at Cemetery Bay about 100 m from the reef.'

'All 3 were on the carcass.  One flew off when I was about 200 m away. The
other 2 flew and landed in the water about 50 m off when I was about 100 m
from them.  They then swam to the western part of the beach about 100 m
away and walked up to the beach and stayed there.  I was at the whale for
about 40 minutes and as I was leaving I noticed a flock of ravens harass
the 2 on the beach and they flew and landed closer to the whale.  I did
not observe them return to the whale but as I was leaving there was a
person walking a dog heading in that direction.  I did notice  one SGP
flying offshore and it may have been the one that flew off.'

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St., East Melbourne  3002