birding-aus

Atlas of Victorian Wildlife & avifauna

To: "" <>
Subject: Atlas of Victorian Wildlife & avifauna
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:55:41 +1000
Martin

I think part of the issue for many birders is one of timing - the records in
the Victorian Atlas (and those in the BA Atlas and the records collected by
BOCA in their "Unusual sightings") are published many months after they are
reported and validated.

The validation serves an important function of course because these records
are used for scientific purposes.

However, many birders want to know NOW if a rare bird has been seen
somewhere, or want to look at recent sightings at a given location (to
decide whether to visit this location)  and can presumably make their own
judgements as to whether or not to trust the information they see.
BirdPedia, Eremaea, Vic Birdline and Birding Aus all serve these purposes.

What is clearly needed in my view is a system that allows birders to publish
their data for immediate availability to others (and this can be just "rare"
birds or - more importantly - full sets of observations) and for this data
to automatically feed through to the BA or Vic atlases - obviously the
latter is restricted somewhat (in geography) so it is probably best that
they go to the BA system. The appropriate review process can then take place
and the records added (or not) to the database as and when processed. (Of
course if all birders put all sightings online you may be swamped with data
to analyse!)

I hope that the various systems (and I am sure there are others in the other
states that I do not know about) can evolve so that we have a system that we
can all use and take advantage of, whether "normal" birders, "twitchers" or
seriou scientists

Dave