birding-aus

250 in 2006 Toowoomba Challenge / button-quail query

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: 250 in 2006 Toowoomba Challenge / button-quail query
From: "Mick Atzeni" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:40:37 +1000
Well we've now cracked the 200 mark. The tally now stands at 202 spp.

If you had asked me which groups were going to be the toughest to get this year
my answer would have been the waterbirds (e.g. Musk, Blue-billed and Freckled
Duck, Cotton Pygmy-Goose, Great Crested Grebe) and most of the waders, due to
the lack of a suitable wetland in our survey area - the one and only decent one
has been bone dry for years; and the button-quail  (five species recorded over
the years, Painted Button-Quail being the only regularly reported species).
Therefore, it's very satisfying to be able to report we now have all five
(Painted, Little, Black-breasted, Red-chested and Red-backed) under the belt in
2006.

It has also occurred to us that this would be no mean feat ANYWHERE IN
AUSTRALIA. Where else could you reasonably expect to see five species of
button-quail in a year?

For those interested in the challenge, the survey area boundaries, what's been
seen and what hasn't, please visit the "250 in 2006" Challenge topic on our
forum: http://toowoombabirdobservers.org/forum/index.php

Good birding!

Michael Atzeni