birding-aus

Some observations on the Liverpool Plains

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Some observations on the Liverpool Plains
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:20:45 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

  Was fortunate enough to recently pass thru the Liverpool Plains (around
Gunnedah / Boggabri, NSW) and made some good observations on an afternoon that
I thought would be worth noting. On the road into Leard SF I found a group of 4
Ground Cuckoo-shrikes in a rocky paddock, quite actively calling. A further 2km
along, on the edge of the forest and nearby cleared land were groups of
Turquoise Parrots (at least 11 birds seen at once), Diamond Firetails (at least
15 birds) and groups of Plum-headed Finches (about 150 birds total) all feeding
together on grass seed. A spectacular sight and there were certainly many more
Turqs around.

  The Plum-heads would fly up in groups of 10-20 into the Eucalypt tree canopy
and perch in rows on dead branches. Whilst my initial observations of this
species were in association with reedy areas (Cumbungi etc), my last few
sightings (over the past 12 months) have been in areas associated with cleared
paddocks, thistle etc...and usually in good numbers.

  Also in the vicinity were Diamond Doves, probably at the eastern edge of
their regular range here (outnumbering Peaceful Doves it seemed) as well as
White-browed Babblers and Blue Bonnets.

  Great woodland birdwatching to be had in this area.

  Mick