birding-aus

Cyclone Larry-belated report. :..:

To: <>
Subject: Cyclone Larry-belated report. :..:
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:20:32 +1000
Special thanks to Russell Woodford,Keith Stockwell and everyone for the concern
expressed as to our wellbeing up North. Damage at home (400m).was similar to
nearby Kingfisher Park and happily the 90 km winds stayed at higher levels and
the Mossman-Daintree area was totally unaffected. Every cyclone is different.
    A touch of Aussie humour before I continue. Hand painted sign on an
Innisfail house read "Just Larried"!
    Extra limital reports of sea birds were Frigate-birds both at Lake Tinaroo
and at Mareeba Wetlands, well inland. I noted two Lesser-crested terns at Lake
Mitchell, north of Mareeba.
    I had heard a report of washed up bodies of seabirds at Mission Beach will
a number bought to local wildlife carers, none of which were saved.
    Old friend Perry Harvey, long time resident of the area also related to the
flock of Red-tailed Black Cockatoos, a first for the Beach. On Wednesday
morning there were two Black-winged Stilts (somewhat dazed) standing in front
of the Post Office, again a first.
    Interestingly three days before the cyclone a Pied Imperial Pigeon fed on
the Carpentaria Palm fruit at home. My first ever upland record for the
species. As the air pressure drops the birds get the message that something is
going on and they get as uneasy as we do.
    One of the industries worst affected was the dairying industry on the
Atherton Tableland although fruit and cane crops received most of the publicity.
    In one instant one dairy farmer had another walk his entire herd of cows
seventeen kilometres to be milked and catered for on their damaged property.
One of the heroes!Due to destroyed power lines some will not have power
available for ten weeks.

Thank you for your thoughts and concern.

Del. Richards, Fine Feathers, Mossman, NQ.