birding-aus

Apparent Increase in Gouldian Finch numbers

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Apparent Increase in Gouldian Finch numbers
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:46:31 +1000
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1603220.htm

Wednesday, March 29, 2006. 8:48am (AEDT)

Endangered finch sightings leave ornithologists hopeful

Bird researchers in northern Australia are hoping the endangered gouldian finch could finally be on the path to recovery.

The finch, one of Australia's most endangered birds, is reappearing in places it has not been seen for up to 15 years.

For decades the numbers of the vivid finch have dwindled in the wild, the victim of bushfires, a parasitic mite and the loss of native grass seed.

Birdwatchers have reported the highest number of sightings in years in Kakadu, Arnhem Land and Cape York.

Professor Stephen Garnett from Charles Darwin University believes better fire management may have helped the bird's revival and he is optimistic it may even return to the towns.

"They used to be in Katherine and they used to be in towns ... through Queensland and just imagine having that, down south they have sparrows. Up here we have gouldian finches, fabulous."

Colleen O'Malley, from the Threatened Species Network, also says better fire management may explain the increase in numbers.

"We're talking birds in the vicinity of 200 to 400 in a flock, which is a really exciting thing that sort of harks back to the days when there were flocks of thousands of birds," she said.

"We're just quite excited that that might mean that there's a positive trend in the population. But we're not certain yet, we'll have to wait for a couple more seasons to see whether those numbers hold."