birding-aus

Rain in Central Aus and 164 Asian Dowitchers in Broome

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Rain in Central Aus and 164 Asian Dowitchers in Broome
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:46:00 +1100
G'day bird lovers

I'm just back from running a private tour to Broome and Alice Springs. A
detailed report will follow on what was an incredible birding adventure. A few
points of interest which I felt that I should post immediately as they may be
helpful to travellers or potential travellers.

The beaches of Broome are smothered in thousands of glorious migratory waders
in fantastic levels of breeding plumage. More so than last year. On one day
alone, I got a gathering of 26 Lesser Sand Plovers in gorgeous breeding plumage
all together and up close. Broad-billed Sandpipers are in countless numbers as
are the Bar-tailed Godwits, Black-tailed Godwits, Great Knots, Red Knots,
tattlers, tereks, stints, etc., etc.. Incredibly exciting was 164 Asian
Dowitchers on Wader Beach last Wednesday. They were everywhere I looked in the
massive flock of waders which itself would easily have numbered 15,000 birds.

The migration rate was the same as for this time last year with several smaller
groups of Eastern Curlew departing just after dark. (One group departed earlier
with a couple of Barwits in tow!!!). Two flocks of Great Knots, numbering
around 180 to 200 birds departed and that was it. However, a near cyclonic
depression was moving across the top of the Kimberley and our wise friends knew
not to venture forth in those circumstances (just as they did this time last
year).

Once again, I was shocked to find that only two of us were there on Roebuck Bay
to feast our eyes and imaginations on these marvellous birding spectacles and
there can be no doubt that we were enjoying the best of birding out of anyone
in the country last week. Come on Australia!!! Surely some of you are into
birding. Forget the heat and humidity and hang the expense. Hock your houses or
blow your children's inheretence but make it to Broome for this magical event.
Every hair on your body will stand up as you witness the incredibly moving
departure of huge flocks of waders as they obey the calls of their ancient
ancestory and make for Siberia via the Yellow Sea.

Incredible birding in Central Australia followed our Broome trip. Bird
abundance was excellent and we enjoyed many great sightings like a number of
awesome views of Dusky Grasswrens at very close range. We totally rocked the
Acanthizidae for the area, cleaning up on everything but White-faces.
Grey-headed Honeyeater abundance was mindblowing in some locations with
countless juves. Heaps of Major Mitchells and Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos.

Importantly, We got excellent rain on one day and the Todd River (and every
other smaller river in the area) flowed nicely. Also, on section 10 of the
Larapinta Trail (Ormiston Gorge to Glen Helen) heaps of what I believe is Red
Mallee (the dominant mallee in that area) was all about to burst into blossom.
If you're headed out to central Oz in the next couple of weeks, I'd be
definitely going for this beautiful location with the combination of rain and
blossom coinciding.

Those who would like more details are welcome to contact me.

Images and stories will appear in my weblog in the course of the next few days.
You will find it at www.rickicoughlan.com/aussiebirds.

Happy birding
Ricki Coughlan
Sydney, Australia