birding-aus

'Grass Owl' near Wangaratta, NE Victoria reported in February misidentif

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "BA VicGroup Sightings" <>, "Paul Chick" <>
Subject: 'Grass Owl' near Wangaratta, NE Victoria reported in February misidentified
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:31:56 +1000
Whilst researching the BA VicGroup Birdline web site mentioned on my
dead Grass Owl being found beside the Glenrowan-Boweya Road at Taminick near
Lake Mokoan on 11 February 2006 was still listed. Thus I became aware that I
had not adequately published the fact that when examined by Rory O'Brien at
Museum Victoria, he found that the bird was in fact a BARN OWL. The error
occurred because when run over, the tibia in one leg had been broken! Thus
the true extension of the legs beyond the tail was 45 not 75 mm! Also the
tarsus had been incorrectly measured and was 65 not 75 mm. A trap for an
inexperienced handler.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930