birding-aus

Robins at Violet Town Vic

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Robins at Violet Town Vic
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:28:21 +1000
Hi All,

Some unrelated observations:

Still warm and dry at Violet Town but we saw the first Scarlet Robins of the season yesterday (a pair, 25 Mar.) and again today.

Probably also heard the last Bee-eaters yesterday. After seeing very few Bee-eaters early in the season, small groups (including maybe 50% juveniles) have been here most days from the second week in January until 4 March but have only been recorded on four days since then. I assume that they have been migrating to the north but as I only ever see them going west or east they could be the same birds every day!

There has been a fair bit of eucalypt blossom here at home and in the district in the last two months, including some red box, a lot of grey box, some stringybark and an ironbark in the garden. There has however been very little associated honeyeater activity until this week when the ironbark apparently became tasty. This tree is now very busy, but the grey box trees still have no visitors and the stringybark and red box have finished. Birds seen feeding in the ironbark this week, not all nectar feeders, include White-plumed, New Holland, Yellow-faced, White-naped, Brown-headed and Fuscous honeyeaters, Red Wattlebird, Noisy Friarbird, Silvereye, Mistletoebird, Eastern Spinebill, Spotted and Striated Pardalotes, Olive-backed Oriole, Crimson Rosella, Rufous Whistler, Grey Shrike-thrush and Crested Shrike-tit.

Regards

Barry McLean