birding-aus

White-bellied Sea-eagle at You Yangs

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: White-bellied Sea-eagle at You Yangs
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:06:42 +1100
Jen Spry and I spent a warm day at the You Yangs (1 hour SW of Melbourne) chasing the mythical Black-eared Cuckoos reported last weekend. Our highlight, and totally unexpected, was a White-bellied Sea-eagle rising on a thermal over the western side of the You Yangs in company with a Wedge-tailed Eagle. This was a beautiful grey and white adult bird and provided great opportunities for size comparison. Also oddly, we recorded a single Fork-tailed Swift flying north. Robins were out in force with Scarlet, Flame and Eastern Yellow all recorded. Southern Whiteface were recorded in two quite separate locations and not where I usually look for them. An Owlet Nightjar provided good views as he checked out our approach, and the entrance Tawny Frogmouths have re-located. The only cuckoos found (ignoring the numerous drivers going the wrong way round the loop) were Fan-tailed, and one other immature that we are seeking some clarification on. Full list follows for the interested.

Cheers

Joy Tansey
Altona Meadows

Little Pied Cormorant