birding-aus

Probable/possible White-morph Eastern Reef Egret at the Western Treatmen

To: <>
Subject: Probable/possible White-morph Eastern Reef Egret at the Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, VIC
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 23:51:49 +1100

This morning (Fri 24 Mar) David Wimpress (UK), Paul Johnstone (Sydney) and I had extended close views of a white egret feeding in the shallows of Port Phillip Bay approx ½ - 1 km north of the Beach Rd boat ramp at the WTP.  This bird was of small-medium size, with no plumes, a heavy bill with a dark (not black) upper mandible with a yellowish base and a yellowish lower mandible, thickish grey legs and yellowish soles. The gape-line did not extend behind the eye. It was feeding in shallow water in a manner mid-way between the typical measured approach of Great Egret and the brisk, flighty manner of Little Egret.

The three of us felt very confident that this was not a Great Egret, did not believe it to be a Little Egret, and the bill colouration should exclude Intermediate Egret. It was certainly not a Cattle Egret.

I am very mindful that no Eastern Reef Egret was reported from southern Victoria during either of the Australian Atlases, although there were records from both the far eastern and far western Victorian (? eastern SA) coasts. However, the Atlas of Victorian Birds (Emison et al, 1987) reported a sighting at Wilson’s Promontory on 19 April 1976 (coincidentally my 30th birthday!).

While, in spite of the above, I think this bird was quite possibly an Eastern Reef Egret (that was certainly my initial, spontaneous ID based on its jizz, particularly the heavy bill and thick grey legs) checking my references at home raises the possibility of a juvenile Little Egret in terms of colour of the bill and soft parts – although none of us felt that the body/bill/leg shape and structure were consistent with Little Egret.

Perhaps anyone visiting the WTP over the next few days could check this area for this Egret, and report their impressions (if they find a bird fitting this description) to Birding-Aus and/or me.

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria

M: 0438 224456