birding-aus

Black Falcon,Mt Whitestone,SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black Falcon,Mt Whitestone,SEQ
From: "Dam Lamb" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:44:36 +1000
Last weekend I attended the BQ campout at Goomburra State Forest, 40 or so km north of Warwick.My first visit, has a good mix of rainforest, riverine, and woodland habitats.My best birds were Bassian Thrush, Red-browed Treecreeper and Speckled Warbler.We heard lyrebird calling on one of the higher altitude rainforest tracks but never got to see, and on the way in on the Fri I had a brief view of a lark over a paddock.
I came home via the Lockyer Valley on roads which link Allora, Gatton, and Esk. At Mt Whitestone about 15km SW of Gatton I saw a very dark falcon perched on a roadside tree.I got very good perched views of a Black Falcon, confirmed when it flew of showing its two-tone black underwing and pointy wings.Although I seen Black Falcon before in SA and the NT, this was my first Qld sighting. I also checked-out Lake Apex at Gatton, Lake Dyer at Laidley, and Jahnke's Lagoon near Lake Clarendon (which is stone dry).Plumed Whistling-Duck were in large numbers at both lakes and were present on almost all farm dams I passed in the valley.Glossy Ibis were also at Jahnke's and Lake Dyer, as well as a single Australian Shoveller at Jahnke's.On the edge of  a farm dam beside Lake Dyer was a single Latham's Snipe and a pair of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. All-up I saw a total of 106 species over 2 days at the campout and on the day-long drive home .

Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ