birding-aus

Toowoomba Birding Challenge

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Toowoomba Birding Challenge
From: "Mick Atzeni" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:55:33 +1000
Hi Birding-Aussers

Those birders in the Toowoomba/Helidon area, SEQ and any of you planning to visit the area this year may be interested to know the Toowoomba Bird Observers have set themselves a Sean Dooley-inspired goal to collectively record 250 species in our survey area during 2006. We've called it the "250 in 2006" Challenge and you're all invited to participate.

The 250 target represents 87% of the 289 species (www.toowoombabirdobservers.org/tbo/birdlist.html) officially recorded by the club since its inception in 1975. It's not going to be easy - the waterbirds will be tough and the drought's no help, but whether we get there or not, it's novel, it's constructive, the response has been great, and it's achieving the desired outcomes including practical use of our new website, timely reporting of sightings, and now putting the focus squarely on those uncommon and under-reported species in our survey area.

If you can't chip in you can still be a spectator by checking out our website regularly.  A progress update and reverse chronological listing can be viewed on the home page at: www.toowoombabirdobservers.org.

The Challenge rules, submitted records, and updates of what still needs to be seen are posted on the Forum www.toowoombabirdobservers.org/tbo/forum.html.

We are already up to 194 species but many of the remaining species are rarely seen here and will be subject to a Rare/Unusual Bird Report which can be completed and submitted on the website.

I encourage those who decide to follow the Challenge to Register on the forum so that we can gauge how much "outsider" interest there is over the course of the year.

Looking forward to your participation one way or another.

Regards

Michael Atzeni
President
Toowoomba Bird Observers Inc.