birding-aus

Vic Swifts and Needletails

To: "" <>
Subject: Vic Swifts and Needletails
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:13:22 +1100
Hi all,

For those tracking Swifts and Needletails the following is our
information from the long weekend.

After a clear and hot Saturday and Sunday, Monday dawned humid and
overcast with temps in the low to mid 20s and little if any wind
noticeable at ground level. Cloud cover was high and unbroken.

At Blakey?s Block in Chiltern, 36 deg 07 min; 146 deg 36 min, between
8:00 and 9:00 am we had a loose flock/stream of Fork-tailed Swifts
flying SE to NW. We estimated some 50 or so birds with perhaps 2 or 3
Needletails mixed in. The weather was moving slowly NNW to SSE.

Later at Killawarra Forest, 36 deg 13 min; 146 deg 11 min, we had
another loose flock/stream of some 20 to 30 birds, also flying SE to NW.
There were at least 2 Needletails with the Swifts. Numbers were hard to
estimate accurately due to the high tree canopy we were watching
through.

As we headed for Glenrowan on the Boweya road we came across
White-throated Needletails feeding on small insects spiralling out of
the crowns of isolated trees in the paddocks. The birds were feeding
very low and not flying particularly fast. There were approx 30 birds
that eventually moved off to the NW. The location was 36 deg 17 min;146
deg 08 min. There were no Swifts with them.

Cheers

Jen