birding-aus

Noisy miners and egrets and the like (part 2)

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Noisy miners and egrets and the like (part 2)
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:00:14 +1100
G'day all

I was actually present at the kite flying "experiment" which Chris refers to. It was a simple rectangular shape and it sent thousands of waders up immediately. A shorebird disturbance monitoring study has been in effect for almost 12 months on the northern side of Roebuck Bay and this should present some interesting data in this regard when they're eventually published.

Light aircraft and larger, up to Boeing 737s, fly across Roebuck Bay not infrequently throughout the day and my observations are that these seldom cause the tiniest stint to raise its supercilium. However, helicopters always appear to send the roosting waders into a panic (with much fist shaking from birders and conservationists below!).

I too have observed Ospreys taking fish next to roosting wader flocks without sending them up and yet at other times sending flocks up immediately.  Everyone who has observed large flocks of roosting birds will report that sometimes they go up as a result of false alarms. It only takes one nervous bird that thinks that a threat might be present and that's enough. For those who have ever had to "twinkle" flocks of waders, the subtle dynamics between a flock which feels secure, or a little wary, or ready to panic presents and "edge" which can be hard to "work" or define sometimes.

Habituation and laziness is an important element which would present a slightly confounding factor for anyone attempting to research these matters. Many birds have this well worked out for themselves. I once witnessed an adult White-bellied Sea-Eagle repeatedly pass over a pretty large mixed flock (15,000) of godwits, knots, tattlers, terns, etc.. On the first occasion the flock went up, moved a long way off shore with the whole convoluted "mexican wave" effect (like a school of fish) in full wonderful evidence, before returning to their roost. On the second fly-by, they didn't go so far. On the third, a little less. On the fourth fly-by, the waders went up only a short way with none of the "mexican wave" effect. On this occasion, our sea-eagle just stalled in the middle of our lazy flock, popped out his talons, grasped a nice plump Red-Knot and flew off with what would have been a rapidly spiflicated victim for his afternoon snack.

This was a very graphic illustration that our sea-eagle's theory of habituation was a very good way for him to acquire a feed. It also proves that even among the birds, it is often brains and resourcefulness which separates the "haves" from the "have-knots".

And, by the way, Noisy Miners will prepare a mobbing offence against just about any creature that invades their turf - whether it's forward or in reverse, frequent or rare.

Happy Birding
Ricki
Belrose, Sydney