birding-aus

Sea bird at Cape Byron

To: Rex & Jan Fisher <>
Subject: Sea bird at Cape Byron
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:33:18 +1000

Hi Rex and Jan,

Re your mail about an unusually dark bird feeding with gulls.  May this have been a Jaeger?  Either Pomarine, Long-tailed or Arctic?  I would look this up in your field guide as Jaegers come down here in the summer from Siberia and often cohort with our gulls.

A Wilson's Storm Petrel is probably unlikely due to the fact you could see this bird from shore.   Wilson's stormies are also very little.

Although the feeding habits sound a bit storm-petrel like, Jaegers and Skuas can sometimes land on the water with their wings up in the air while they feed.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Inger

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.