birding-aus

Capertee Valley NSW Quick-trip report

Subject: Capertee Valley NSW Quick-trip report
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:27:27 +1100
Ducked out to Capertee this morning with fellow lister and old friend Alistair, to try and twitch the Regent Honeyeaters that have been reported. We've only really done a couple of birding specific trips and had an incredible success rate so far, so expectations were high. Left appropriately early, from Lapstone and on the road before 5. Stopped only briefly on the way to Crown Station Rd to have a quick look at some potential Plum-Headed finch sites, only to find we were too early even for the birds. It was pretty quiet, with some very secretive Superb Fairies and little else to report. Picked up various honeyeaters in the mistle toe and eucalypt blossoms above the road, but still no Regents. Headed down Crown Station Rd to the site where there'd been a few seen earlier in the week. It's quite obviously good habitat, the bird life along the road was incredibly diverse and vibrant, with constant flux of the various species inand out of the trees. Reminded me a lot of the way schools of reef fish duck and weave together, settling on a good food source for a few minutes, then continuing when threatened or hungry. At first the Noisy Friarbirds obviosly ruled most of the good flowers, raucously dominating the other birds. Fuscous honeyeaters dabbled on the fringes of the good trees waiting for the Friars to either get distracted or move on. Capertee Road Parrots and Turquoise Parrots fed quietly in the smaller younger eucalypts. The Turquoise was a big tick for both of us, a brilliant bird, quiet and subtle when feeding in the foliage, then startlingly bright in flight. White Browed Babblers, Hooded Robins and Yellow Tufted HE's fought their own battles in the understorey foliage. We wandered up the road, had coffee and gingernut biscuits and considered giving up and moving on. Took a quick trip up the road to the end and had a good look at some Gang-Gangs. No matter how often I see them I'm still interested.

Headed slowly back down Crown Station to the original site, and stopped for a quick look around. There was a remarkable change in the feel and sounds of the area. The Friars were subdued, spread out rather than grouped like bullies. A large flock of Capertee Roaders had moved in, which seemed to make the other birds relax a little. The Wagtails were more bouyant, the Robins chased each other furiously,White Browed Babblers, Brown Treecreepers, Lewin and Yellow Faced Honeyeaters were all out in force. So we had another thorough survey of all the likely habitat. Al had wandered off up the road to check another stand of trees, I was next to the road surveying the paddocks. After a little while a call I'd not noticed got a bit more insistent above me, 3 metres up. I looked up and there it was, the most obvious Regent Honeyeater in Capertee. He turned left and right to show off his pink eye skin, yellow wings and scaly plumage. Al had wandered off up the road, and I was pretty sure he would be a little dissappointed to miss out. So I took a chance and sung out, and the Regent stayed put, even going to get his family and pose for some photos. All in all we saw a maximum 6 at once, living up to their regal name; we felt genuinely honoured to have their company. They toddled off into the bush after a few minutes, not to be seen again.

Jumped back in the car to head home, pretty keen to get back for various reasons, stopping at the end of the Capertee valley road to change drivers. I grabbed my bins for a quick look and added Spotted Pardalote and Varied Stitella to my life list. I'd been keen on the Pardalotes for a while, and it seemed too good to be true. Closing in on Lithgow I narrowly avoided a small quailish thing which we turned around to have a look at. Further survey revealed a Little Button Quail, which if previous behavious is anything to go by, probably won't see out the day. Another new bird for both of us, with both of us adding 9ish for the day. Without counting the common birds, 32 species for a 7 hour round trip. I think I've said it before, but Capertee is an incredible area. Below is a species list for the trip, recording observations digitally makes life so much easier.

STUBBLE QUAIL
LITTLE BUTTON-QUAIL
PEACEFUL DOVE
CRESTED PIGEON