birding-aus

Common Koel

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Common Koel
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 19:23:51 +1000
The female Koel at my place has been hanging around the back door again lately.   She sits on the rail, or the tree just off the deck, and moves to the post at the top of the stairs so she can watch me through the screen door.   She is just the sweetest bird.

I'm not sure the Grey Butcherbirds agree - she is still stealing from them.   As soon as she moves in their direction, they now grab their booty and fly off.

The male Koel has also been around sometimes, and the other day they started calling and carrying on as though it is October!   Hope it was just an aberration or a goodbye before migration.   Last year or the year before, the poor Magpielarks raised a Koel which left the nest at about this time.   If they have produced an egg now, we will have an over-wintering juvenile.

Robyn