birding-aus

A moment to remember

To: <>
Subject: A moment to remember
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:46:00 +1100
Hi all,
I visited Lake Murphy near Kerang in northern Victoria again today (its
getting to be a habit) and its still teeming with birds and will be for a
while yet.
I found 69 species in my 3 hour drive around, but no Long-toed Stint  today.
However at my last stop before the sun went down I spotted a Wood Sandpiper
amongst a small flock of waders. It took me a little longer than it probably
should have to realise that the flock of waders were all Wood Sandpipers!.
Thirteen birds in total, (some sort of record in Victoria???).
Anyway it was a fitting end to a great  visit, but it got better, as they
decided it was time to leave (the state I'm guessing).  They formed a tight
flock, gained altitude  and disappeared into a northern sky just twinkling
with the first stars and a bit of a moon. I left with a smile on my face.

A roundup of the birds present.... 1000's of Black Swans, Coots, Australian
Shelduck and Grey Teal.
100's of Black-winged Stilt, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Hoary-headed Grebes,
Pink-eared Duck, Black Duck.
c. 150+ Marsh Sandpiper, 15 Greenshank, 3 Red-necked Avocet, 1 Curlew
Sandpiper, 3 Red-necked Stint(one with an orange leg tag), Dotterels and
Nativehen, WBSeaEagle, Glossy Ibis, Black Falcon, etc etc !

It's only a fairly small wetland, the birds are very concentrated. There was
an intermittant  aerial display of ducks disturbed by various raptors
especially Swamp Harriers, making for a memorable spectacle.

Regards,
Simon Starr.