birding-aus

Tuross Head (South Coast, NSW)

Subject: Tuross Head (South Coast, NSW)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:54:40 +1100

We spent a long weekend (4-6 March) in Tuross Head on the NSW South Coast. On the way down a brief stop at Congo produced 7 Red-capped Plovers and 4 Double-banded Plovers.

At Tuross I walked the flat sands of the Tuross River estuary several times to count waterbirds. On one occasion I believed I saw an Osprey. It was standing on the sand flats picking at something but took to the air before I could get close. It had long fingered wings with a short tail. The wings were slightly bent sometimes. Unfortunately I didnt have my binos with me as you need to swim the estuary mouth to get to the sand flats. It wasnt an immature Sea-Eagle and didnt look anything like a Whistling Kite.
  • Pied Oystercatcher 5
  • Australian Pelican 34
  • Red-capped Plover 16
  • Red-necked Stint 2
  • Double-banded Plover 4
  • Caspian Tern 7
  • Crested Tern 62
  • Little Egret 9
  • Great Egret 1
  • Eastern Curlew 11
  • Bar-tailed Godwit 50
  • Silver Gulls 150+

I found a beautiful small hidden rainforest reserve smack bang in the middle of Tuross called Chatham Park Flora & Fauna Reserve. I wandered the walking trails every morning to a dawn chorus of Lewin's Honeyeaters, Large-billed Scrubwrens, Brown Gerygones, Eastern Whipbirds and Yellow Robins. Also here Red-browed Finch, Variegated Fairy-wren, King-Parrot, Silvereye and Eastern Spinebill.

On Sunday I spent a half hour watching the ocean from One Tree Point. In the distance I saw a Jaeger harassing a Gull. Too far to see what kind. There seemed to be a lot of action out to sea including a possible fur seal which briefly broke the surface. A large albatross-like bird sat on the sea for ages, again too far to identify. In Tuross itself the local flock of ~20 Little Corellas visited daily.

A short detour to Bingie on Sunday produced 6 different raptors in 10 minutes! An immature Wedge-tailed Eagle soared overhead harassed by another smaller raptor (possibly a Brown Goshawk). Over the hill a Brown Falcon flew past suddenly followed by a Spotted Harrier (great to see size difference, the harrier looked enormous compared). Almost twice they semi-grappled in mid air. This is probably the same Harrier I saw 2 weeks earlier in the very same spot. A few hundred metres further on a Nankeen Kestrel sat calmly surveying the land, while high above an adult White-bellied Sea-Eagle flew over. Down at Bingi Point I have often seen Black-shouldered Kites as well. A nice 1.5-2m Lace Monitor crossed Bingi Rd on the drive back.

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT:

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.