birding-aus

Fwd: [Greens-Media] Hunters given access to future National Parks

To: <>
Subject: Fwd: [Greens-Media] Hunters given access to future National Parks
From: "Lorne Johnson" <>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:17:04 +1100
Some words from Greens MP Ian Cohen... sad stuff... maybe we can do
something...

Lorne

>>> "Ben Oquist" <> 6/03/2006
2:11:39 pm >>>

Hunters given access to future National Parks

Greens MLC Ian Cohen says he is deeply concerned that hunters have been
given access to forests that should be National Park.

"Shooting and hunting is going to be allowed in a massive area of NSW
forests * not just plantations but critical high conservation value
native forests that should be in National Parks," Mr Cohen said.

"The National Parks Association has calculated that 400 000 hectares of
forests all over NSW will now be available for hunting.

"Some of these areas are valuable conservation areas that are part of
proposals for National Parks.

"The shooters will also be permitted to bring in their hunting dogs.
Unfortunately my amendment to prevent this was voted down in the
Legislative Council last year.

"Allowing hunters to trample our future conservation estate is reckless
short term politics of the worse kind.

"Allowing forests to be locked up for hunters, shooters and their dogs
exclusive use is wrong. These forests are for all of  NSW residents to
enjoy," Mr Cohen said.

Further Information: Ben Oquist 02 9230 3305 or 0419 704 095

--
Or send an email to <>