birding-aus

Hay Wastewater Treatment Plant & interesting Grey Teal plumage

To: <>
Subject: Hay Wastewater Treatment Plant & interesting Grey Teal plumage
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:32:23 +1100

Hello all,

While in Hay today I stopped in briefly at Hay’s wastewater treatment ponds, or as the site signposted, the Hay Wetlands.

Two main ponds hold deep water, and it was these ponds that I limited my visit to.

Of interest, observed on the eastern of the two ponds (closest to the entrance) were 39 Freckled Duck, 5 Hardhead, 1 Musk Duck and 2 Blue-billed Duck; while on the western pond were another 10 Freckled Duck, 3 Musk Duck and 3 Chestnut Teal.

Also on the western pond were two extremely pale adult Grey Teal. Both birds were identical in plumage – the upperwings and tail dark brown, while the head, neck and upper and underparts were a white or very pale buff colour. While I was there these two birds were not observed with any other duck on the pond even though there were another 30 Grey Teal on the pond.

Also on the ponds were Grebes (Australasian and Hoary-headed), Cormorants (Little Pied, Little Black and Great), Coots, Swamphen, a Yellow-billed Spoonbill and a White-faced Heron.

Cheers

David Parker

Deniliquin, NSW