birding-aus

Waterbirds survey of Port Stephens NSW

To: <>
Subject: Waterbirds survey of Port Stephens NSW
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:56:41 +1100

On Sunday a group from Hunter Bird Observers Club did a count of waterbirds in Port Stephens, NSW.  The survey was done at high tide, using boats organised and skippered by National Parks & Wildlife Service.  It is the third year that we have done the survey.

We recorded more than 3,000 waterbirds including 1403 migratory waders and 124 other waders (including 77 Pied Oystercatcher).   There were 424 Whimbrel which is a new maximum count for Port Stephens and this number is ~4% of the Australian migrating population of this species – hence it is a very significant record.  We also saw a Beach Stone-curlew (as far as we can establish, this appears to be the first record of it for Port Stephens) and a Grey Plover (seems to be only the 3rd record for the Port).

Waterbird species recorded:

Black Swan (200)

Aust. Wood Duck (30)

Pacific Black Duck (8)