birding-aus

Help with Bird ID

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Help with Bird ID
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:35:08 +1100
Hi Mike & All,

Well having now seen your photo, that is absolutely easy. It is entirely certainly (not probably) a Brown Treecreeper (not a White-browed Treecreeper). I made the suggestion I did (that it may actually be a White-throated Treecreeper), as I was only going by what you wrote. I made the assumption that is usually far less offending to people to suggest that they have used the wrong name, rather than misidentified the bird.

As for the other bird, I don't know and I didn't bother to check out the photos. Don't take this comment as overly serious.  It strikes me as entertaining though that so many people did try and identify it. In the end, it is nice that people help, or is it responding to a challenge? If it is not going to be an important record, I ask does it matter all that much? A White-browed Treecreeper in a place like that would be worth going to effort to verify or is that also true of a Jacky Winter or White-winged Triller? There will be others there again on another day.

Philip