birding-aus

Pitt Town Lagoon & Culpits Lane 26/02/2006

To: <>
Subject: Pitt Town Lagoon & Culpits Lane 26/02/2006
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:05:26 +1100
Hi all, had a very productive morning at Pitt Town Lagoon (55kms NW Sydney) this morning with over 50 species seen in just over an hour and a half. In fact the lagoon has exposed mud right around the edge, so Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper numbers were in excess of 250 so its well worth a very thorough look. Also present was 6 Red-Necked Avocets and a good number of spoonbill with 8 Royals and 2 Yellow-Billed. Black-Fronted Dotterel and Red Kneed Dotterel were very numerous also + their was the usual few Latham's Snipe. A good bird for the lagoon was a single Australian Shelduck - I have recorded this species here before but not often and a terrific sighting was a family of Spotless Crakes on exposed mud to the left of the mound. Also just as I was leaving was a single Brown Goshawk flying low overhead.

Cutlpits lane seemed less productive than last time I visited a couple of weeks ago - perhaps the quail are getting used to all the noise of people walking through their paddock. Only flushed a single King Quail and 3 Stubble Quail, unfortunately didn't see RCBQ or RBBQ.

Cheers
Simon.