birding-aus

Galahs in East Brisbane

To: bird <>
Subject: Galahs in East Brisbane
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:44:19 +1000
For several decades after I came to live in Hawthorne (eastern Brisbane
suburb) there were no galahs - of the feathered kind, that is.  :-)

Then a few appeared; and how they've increased!  This morning I counted a
flock of sixty-two of them, mostly perched on the power lines (or swinging
from them), but a dozen or so down on the wet sealed carriage-way, either
picking up something edible, or getting moisture from the surface.  (At an
intersection along Riding Road, roughly half-way between Hawthorne and
Bulimba, for anyone who knows this part of the world.)

And I wonder if they are moving here from somewhere out in the bush.  Don't
think there are many, if any, hollows suitable for nesting in suburban
Hawthorne.

We had no Crested Pigeons either, early on; now common.  Plenty of nesting
sites for them.  Originally we often had sparrows in our garden.  None at
all now.  And plenty of Bearded Dragons; now all gone.  But we still have
Blue-tongued Lizards, so no problem with snails or slugs eating our plants.

Cheers

Syd