birding-aus

Your birding vehicle

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Your birding vehicle
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:01:10 +1100
Last year I did some travel in outback NSW including west of Tibooburra to
Broken Hill  and other such places.  My Toyota Rav 4 coped with the lot with
flying colours, gibber, flooded creeks, open paddocks (mustering sheep), mud
up to the hub caps, the lot.  I prefer it to friends' Suburus because it has
higher clearance, but nowhere near as high as most of the big 4 WDs.  I had
it loaded to the hilt with camping gear, clothing for 11 weeks travel,
teaching references, 2 sewing machines, telescope, all  my bird books and
many other natural history references, music, etc., etc.  and it still did
about 10km/l without missing a beat.  It's going to central Queensland  and
maybe South Australia with me this year, hopefully with similar ease.

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria