birding-aus

Searching archives

Subject: Searching archives
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 23:11:02 +1100
Hi Peter

The "How to search" page gives you a few more options using wildcards and
boolean expressions.

I'm not sure why this works, because logic says littl* shoudl find MORE
recordes than little, but it seems to work (found 82 records):

kingfisher and littl*

You can search in just one field  - e.g. Subject Line.  The following search
for subject lines containing the words "Little" and "Kingfisher" found 6
records:.

+subject:little and +subject:kingfisher

Perhaps you can use a wildcard for other common words - Andrew Taylor, who has
built and maintained the archives for several years, will probably give us the
real answers on Monday!

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus Mailing List Administrator

"Peter Ewin" <> on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:50:04 +1100 wrote:
> I have just tried the new search feature in the Archives of Birding-Aus and
> have struck a problem. I am specifically looking for records of Little
> Kingfisher and am not having any luck. I have tried the following search
> formats:
> Little Kingfisher - Returns 1500 documents containing Kingfisher only (there
> are too many documents containing Little)
> "Little Kingfisher" - No documents returned (seems to be overwhelmed by
> Little)
> "Sacred Kingfisher" - 542 documents returned
> "Forest Kingfisher" - 116 documents
> "Azure Kingfisher" - 298 documents.
>
> Is there a way to find just Little Kingfisher records? Can the counter on
> Little be lifted so a return will be made? If someone has already asked this
> and a solution has been suggested I apologise. Otherwise a great resource
> will be limited by the search function.
> Cheers,
> Peter

---
Russell Woodford
Learning Technologies Coordinator
Sacred Heart College Geelong

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email.
If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all
copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.
The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting
directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence
of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not
necessarily those of the College.