birding-aus

Re: Kenya trip

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Kenya trip
From: "Tracey Newcombe" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:28:01 +1100

Hi Ken and others,

Sounds like a great trip you have organised to Kenya. I have done a fair bit of birding there in the past and there really are some wonderful species to see. I especially enjoyed the dozen or so species of bee eater. The white throated bee eater is locally common in Kenya, especially in the Great Rift valley. Look for them in riverbanks, particularly where there is a raft of hippos nearby; they seem to like the insects the big animals stir up. Also of interest is the hamerkop, again found in the Masai Mara and Serengeti areas, and of course the flamingos at lake Nakuru. Wish I could go with you! Have a wonderful trip.

                                                 Cheers

                                                   Tracey Newcombe