birding-aus

Abundance of Chestnut Breasted Mannikins and Magpie Geese in North Queen

Subject: Abundance of Chestnut Breasted Mannikins and Magpie Geese in North Queensland
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:27:41 +1000

Hi All,

Thought I would report that there have been several large flocks of both Magpie Geese and Chestnut Breasted Mannikins in and around the Cairns area of late.

Magpie Geese have always been a visitor but what has driven them to this area in such large numbers over summer has me stumped.  They are mainly feeding/roosting in newly harvested cane fields.  On the way out to Yorkeys Knob in a field, I spotted a flock of about 300-400 in there.

Also, after seeing flocks of Chestnut Breasted Mannikins flying around my father's office at Smithfield, I did a quick check in the office gardens which are filled with native grasses, and found a pair nesting in the grasses that my father has planted.  He advised me last week that after a quick check of the area surrounding his office in Smithfield, he found 18 nests with varying stages of chick development.

He is now actively shepherding his clients quietly around his pair that are nesting in the garden.  Not exactly a new concept for my parents who have had to redirect visitors to their house away from the Sunbirds that nested on their doorbell!

The things we do to make sure some birds get their chicks out!

Cheers,

Inger

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.