birding-aus

Swifts, Woodswallows and Honeyeaters Ingalba NR SW NSW

Subject: Swifts, Woodswallows and Honeyeaters Ingalba NR SW NSW
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:25:08 +1100
I was going to send an email last night titled "Where have all the Woodswallows gone?" I was out at Cocoparra NP on Saturday (25km east of Griffith) and while I have been on holidays in NZ for three weeks the flocks of White-browed (hereafter WBWS) and Masked Woodswallows, Budgerigars, White-winged Trillers and Rufous Songlarks have disappeared. I did not see one of these species all day, though there were large numbers of Diamond Doves about. I had heard one flock of budgies at home but that was all in a week.

I was going to ask if anyone had seen any Woodswallows about (particularly young birds) but today I found quite a few of them.

I was in Ingalba NR about 10km west of Temora, checking the trails to see if branches had come down in a storm, so I was in and out of the car a bit. The weather was warm (30+) and slightly windy in the morning but birds still seemed to be about. Some of the interesting sightings were:

At one spot WBWS were feeding in flowering Grey Box (Eucalyptus microcarpa). Some were flying and while I looked up I spied a Swift flying over. My guess was 4 White-throated Needletails were present, high enough to be only just visible with the naked eye, and flying north. They may have been the last of a group as I looked for about 10 minutes afterwards but saw no more.

Virtually everywhere I stopped WBWS were present in Grey Box. Certainly young ones amongst them but no definite Masked Woodswallow.

On the last track I stopped a single Budgerigar flew across the track. I stopped to see if any others were about but heard or saw no more. However at the same spot both Fuscous and at least 2 male Black Honeyeaters were present. There was a large amount of Mistletoe on the Box and Mugga Ironbark (E. sideroxylon) which was in flower and the WBWS were definitely feeding in this (I will check the species tomorrow at work).

No large honeyeaters (other than the odd Noisy Miner were seen or heard all day).

Might be an interesting spot to visit at the moment because things like Yellow-plumed, Pied and plenty of Black-chinned have been seen in Ingalba in the past. Hopefully also, the Ironbark might flower again this year and draw in Swift Parrots as has regularly happened in the past.

Cheers,
Peter