birding-aus

Swifts swallows and swiftlets

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Swifts swallows and swiftlets
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:20:47 +1100
I'm sorting out my swift, swallow and swiftlet identification, mostly because of all these WTNT sightings, and apparently a couple of fork-tails over my house last night, (which I missed). Just trying to figure out, as a young lad, about 15 years ago, I remember clearly small swift-looking birds flying very low and very fast around the cricket fields I used to play on. I remember them being black and white, and seem to recall someone calling them swifts, but this seems unlikely. More likely Welcome Swallows would you say? I was playing cricket in and around Penrith, NSW mostly.

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains