birding-aus

New Bird for Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane

Subject: New Bird for Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:01:04 +1000
Hi All,

Had a great morning birding yesterday, adding a new species to my area list, which stands at 116 for the last 3 years.  The new bird was a Brown Thornbill, stealthily creeping through the mangroves along the river as if to say "I know I shouldn't be here!".  My first thornbill for the area, too.  Other highlights were Mangrove Gerygones playing low, Spangled Drongos getting harassed by Sacred Kingfishers, and the numerous gawky looking Purple Swamphen chicks running around our lagoon at the moment.  I also had a Nutmeg Mannikin (or Spice Finch if you prefer) - the first I've seen in our area for 10 years or more.

Regards,
Chris
Brisbane, QLD