birding-aus

Re:Unusual shelduck at Werribee

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re:Unusual shelduck at Werribee
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:14:00 +1100
I was checking old copies of the Australian Bird Watcher for references to Black-necked Storks when I came across a note entitled 'Abnormally Plumaged Australian Shelduck' by Jaroslav Klapste (Vol. 9 No.3 September 1981, page 96).  I selectively quote from it below:

"While watching birds at the MMBW Farm, Werribee on 14 February 1981........had the opportunity to see the Australian Shelduck.... in abnormal plumage. .... a group of twelve Australian Shelducks....were resting... One of these birds was conspicuous from a distance, being both paler and yet apparently more colourful than the others.  It looked almost bi-coloured, with head, neck, breast and mantle pale but with the rest of the body dark except for a small area of white on the wing.

The head, neck, breast and mantle were of uniform colour, pale, buffish, similar to the normal male breast colouration.  All other parts of the body were normally coloured.  Although we have visited this locality on many occasions since our observation, we have not seen it again."

In view of the unusually coloured Shelduck that was observed photographed at Werribee recently this note may be of interest.

Regards

Greg Clancy