birding-aus

Bush Stone-Curlew having a lie down

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Bush Stone-Curlew having a lie down
From: "Dickson" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:36:36 +1000
I'd never seen a bird actually lying down before, until recently. I was a James Cook University in Townsville and I passed a group of 4 Bush Stone-Curlews outside the Biological Sciences buildings - 2 adults and 2 fledged young which had a few wisps of down remaining on their otherwise adult plumage. One of the young was lying down. Have a look at the link below to see what I mean.

I thought it might be injured but it got up and walked away when I came to within a few metres. About half an hour later I passed the family again and one of the chicks was again lying down. Maybe it just found this posture comfortable? I know I do :)

Tim Dickson
Townsville