birding-aus

SA - Adelaide Swifts

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: SA - Adelaide Swifts
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:14:22 +1030
Hi All,
        After my posting early yesterday when I first noticed Fork-tailed
Swifts overhead, I continued to see more flocks through to 2.20pm. I
recorded 15 flocks ranging in estimated size from less than 10 to 200+, and
they totalled about 800 birds. Some were quite low, others were so high that
they could only be seen with binoculars. Most departed to the south-east or
east.
        I also noted 3 individual birds at flying in from the north-west
during a brief visit to West Beach boat ramp.
        I have posted a detailed list of the flocks on Birdpedia under
"Specific Species". Birdpedia can be accessed on:-
http://www.birdpedia.com/au

John Turner
Adelaide