birding-aus

Orange Chat - still present Sunday morning (& photo)

To: "Murray Lord" <>, <>
Subject: Orange Chat - still present Sunday morning (& photo)
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:38:33 +1100

Hi Murray and Birding-aussers,

One thing which mystifyied me about the bird I saw with Bob Way and Colin Scouler last Friday was the obvious yellow forhead and frontal crown, this is obvious in Murray's pic. and also one posted by Nevil Lazarus (Ozpic and Northside Birders). This is more characteristic of a male than a female which has a brown cap extending forward of the eye.

Looking at Murray's picture and neglecting the shadow of the beak there appears to be black speckling on the chin and upper throat  raising the possibility that Murray's bird is a sub adult male. This does not appear in a picture posted by Nevil Lazarus  and I saw no dark markings on the throat of the bird I saw. All raising the possibility there are two birds there, even two sub adult males?

Bruce Cox.

The female Orange Chat was still present at about 8.15 am this morning, Sunday 22 January, when Tony Palliser, Alan McBride and I saw it.  The bird was about 70 metres from the southernmost flag referred to in previous postings, along the wheel tracks that head from that flag in what I guess is an ENE direction.  Best access is from the end of Fishermans Road, Malabar.

If anyone is interested, I have posted a rather poor record shot of the bird at http://www.pbase.com/image/55128043

Thanks to Frank for passing on information about the sighting.

Murray Lord

[Apologies if you get two copies of this, I am trying to work my way around how to post this whilst not being subscribed to the list]