birding-aus

Wallacia Farm activity, NSW

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Wallacia Farm activity, NSW
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:49:35 +1100
Had a look around a mate's farm this morning, following up reports of a pair of Pheasant Coucal in one of the back blocks. We found them, pretty easily, beautiful birds they are too, quite striking and unusual. Also picked up a couple of Chestnut Breasted Mannikin, Black faced cuckoo shrikes and plenty of Superb Fairy's. Good to see them going well.

Trotted out to Nepean Lookout, to see what we could find, and I'm glad we did! Had a great look at a Forest Kingfisher, a very long way from the range described in my guide. Does anyone have opinions on that? Very white below, and almost navy above, also quite slim through the middle. Pizzey does mention occasional sighting in Sydney, so maybe it's not so unusual. Also Eastern Spinebills, Grey Fantails, and a plethora of honeyeaters. If anyone is ever n the area I can recommend the lookout, at the end of Fairlight rd Mulgoa/Wallacia. There's a lot of plants in bloom, and there's a few excellent vantage points along a small cliff line there. Good relaxing birding.

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains