birding-aus

Re: WTP update and Unidentified Sandpiper

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: WTP update and Unidentified Sandpiper
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:07:07 +1100

A couple of hours out at the WTP last night allowed me to turn up a couple of Long Toed Stints in their usual spot (35E Lagoon - check the 'islands' amongst the bright green algae patch at the eastern end of the lagoon.)  I couldn't find the Broad billed Sandpiper reported yesterday.

On the first point to the east of the boat ramp at the end of beach rd, were 20+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 8 Commom Terns (breeding) and 2 Little Terns.

In 35W lagoon was an unusual looking Sandpiper.  I've never seen a Pectoral Sandpiper, so it could have possibly been a Pectoral Sandpiper. Other options i considered were a juvenile or abberant Sharp Tailed Sandpiper, but i really dont know.  The distinguishing feature of this bird from a Sharpie was the lack of chestnut in the crown, and only a slight streaking on the crown.

I've posted some photo on my website, so if anyone can put an ID on it for me, i'd appreciate it.

Go to:

http:\\www.peterfuller.com.au\

Then click on the 'WTP Rarities" Link, and at the bottom of the page is a link to "Unidentified Sandpiper".

Also on the site are photos of other rarities that have turned up over the past couple of years at the WTP, including the recent arrivals of Long Toed Stint, Red Knot, Wood Sandpiper, Oriental Pratincole and  Red necked Phalarope.

If you have troubles viewing the slideshows, make sure your browser is not blocking active content.  Best viewed through Internet Explorer.

Cheers,

Peter