birding-aus

Common Mynas

Subject: Common Mynas
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:02:09 +1100
The problem of Common (Indian) Mynas is one that is of great concern and the
methods of control are being looked into by a number of Councils, trap
manufacturers and researchers like Chris Tideman. There spread was obvious
in the south coast of NSW, in a small village south of Ulladulla. I had been
visiting Tabourie for at least 23 years and had not been there for 3 years.
In this short time a population of the Mynas had established and is
estimated numbers of 20 + were visible from the house.

Do not despair though recently a colleague in Bankstown, Sydney attempted to
capture them and over a period of 3 weeks eradicated over 38 individuals.
This was done using a trap that was being trialed for this species and the
good old cage trap set very lightly.
The cage traps resulted in more captures but back to the drawing board for
the Myna trap. As a result the numbers of Noisy Miners increased
dramatically in the backyard and Superb Fairy wrens not seen for years were
back.

Although I have not kept up on the progress of Mr Tidemans trap, I recommend
the use of cage traps set extremely lightly and baited with dog kibble.
Ensure you spread some kibble outside the trap to encourage them. And leave
trapped birds in a cage nearby it encourages them. All animlas should be
euthanaised humanely as not to contravene any animal ethics legislation in
your state.

Brett Campbell