birding-aus

WTP Phalarope, LT Stints etc

To: <>
Subject: WTP Phalarope, LT Stints etc
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:45:17 +1100
Hi All,

Thanks to all who sent me updates on the rarities at the farm, managed to head
out for a few hours this afternoon and saw:

Red-necked Phalarope at Walsh's Lagoon 7
Long-toed Stint, Red Knot and Wood Sandpiper at 85E-8 Lagoon
6 Glossy Ibis at Ryans swamp, and 2 Cape Barren Geese NE of Paradise
Rd/Chirnside Rd intersection.

Try as I might I couldn't find the Oriental Pratincole, although I did bump
into Fiona ANderson who saw a Pratincole flush from Paradise road towards the
Walsh's Lagoon region, but didn't get enough on it to ID fully. So, whilst I
dipped there is still hope.

The phalarope was there all afternoon, including when I drove past on the way
back and very obvious. It makes me wonder how they get enough food given the
tiny amoounts they seem to grab and the frenetic pace at which they forage.
LTStints more difficult given the sheer number of birds in that pond, took some
sifting through. Couldn't find broad-billed sandpiper but didn't have time to
have a good look around.

If anyone does turn up the phalarope again can they please let Birding-Aus know?

Happy birding,
Paul

Dr Paul G. McDonald
Department of Zoology
La Trobe University
Bundoora, Victoria 3086
Australia
Ph: + 613 9395 3253       Fax: +613 9395 3150
 <>
http://www.zoo.latrobe.edu.au/Staff/mfc/pgm/