birding-aus

Twitching for a Day

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Twitching for a Day
From: "Janice England" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:46:31 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Birds Qld is organising a Sitathon, Top Spot or whatever you'd like to call it where a group of people stay in the one spot for up to 24 hours and see how many birds they can count.  As I usually get 60+ each month from my patio, I set the target at 60 and we spent Saturday seated along my verandah looking out over rainforest along a creek.  With 4 other people, we started at 4:45 am and took shifts throughout the day finishing at 6:45pm.  It was very easy and a pleasant way to spend the day. In fact I felt rather guility that I had nothing to do but birdwatch all day although it did necessitate a few trips to the kitchen  for supplies every so often!  But as long as two members of your team see and or hear the birds, people can come and go. You can't move outside a 10 metre radius to count but of course if you have good hearing then that circle is extended (upwards and outwards).

We counted 59 birds all together with a few of the regulars missing such as Spangled Drongo and Red-backed Fairy-wren.  If you live in a good location with visible water sites and extensive views, then it could be an interesting way to spend the day without exerting yourself, especially with access to some good food and wine!

Why not give it a go to see how many you get for the day.  You can actually do it for 24 hours but we decided to keep it to daylight hours.

Jan